My name is Richard N. Rhodes, and I am a creative problem solver based in Denver, Colorado. For well over a decade I have been developing and delivering branding, marketing, and advertising services to small to large corporations and non-profits in the Denver metropolitan area.
I have gained experience handling complex projects, business to business and business to consumer marketing and advertising campaigns for Fortune 500 clients. Additionally, I have managed tactical communication campaigns for various public affairs issues.
I am very much interested in discussing how my skills and professional experience will add value to you or your organization.
I have demonstrated experience in the following areas:
Advertising It all begins with the task of creating a message (or methodology) that cuts through the clutter and articulates a clear point of view. Preferably that message is evolved directly from the brand. It is from this vantage point where I create advertising messages and or campaigns.
Branding A brand is the reason your customers care about your product or business. If your customers care, they will remain loyal. If they remain loyal, you have a sustainable business. One essential component of branding is an expected experience and when consistently delivered, creates brand loyalty. Effective design and strategy should reinforce this effort.
Creative Services Management Bringing it all together, artfully.
Perhaps one of my most important skills is understanding the entire ecosystem and process and having the experience, technical ability, acumen and foresight to plan, strategize and execute small and large teams within budget, and on time–every time.
Design It all begins with intent, why we’re doing it in the first place. Then comes the systematic approach of coalescing typography, imagery, and color into an effective communications vehicle. I love this process, and it shows in the quality I seek within my work.
Copywriting The literal narrative is just as important as the visual one. When the two work in concert it yields a powerful result. I have a firm command of writing to inform, instruct or persuade audiences on behalf of our clients. Whether it’s for the consumer, business-to-business markets or direct mail, I have a firm command of the written form.
Earned Media Many times as a component of advertising, or marketing campaign, I have demonstrated the ability to leverage or frame an event or human-interest story to news organizations or new media outlets.
Identity Development (logos) All logos are not created equal.
A logo is a flag, a signature, an escutcheon. A logo doesn’t sell (directly), it identifies, a logo is rarely a description of a business.
A logo derives its meaning from the quality of the thing it symbolizes. The effectiveness of a logo depends on a. distinctiveness, b. visibility, c. usability, d. memorability, e. universality, f. durability, g. timelessness
Interactive Media with the explosion of new technology and platforms to engage audiences, I understand and have demonstrated proficiency in the language and methodologies currently being used. From interactive PDFs to Flash Development as well as mobile platform devices, I got you covered.
Media/Market Intelligence I can spot emerging trends, track reporting (news stories) as well as research and identify new prospects and gather and refine information from various sources.
SEO/SEM Cutting through the clutter and gaining an edge on your competition is vital in today’s market. Having an advantage in this space can increase market-share and awareness or both. Search engine optimization and marketing is a cost-effective way to reach new customers or audiences. Having SEO/SEM within a beautifully engaging site can be a compelling combination. I can help.
Social Media media are all the rage, and transforming our world in ways we had never imagined. Ever evolving, I understand the fundamentals of this medium as well as the strategies that accompany the more traditional approaches. I leverage social media by aligning it with the overall aims of the organization or an objective.
Strategy (Strategic Communications) The entire point of any advertising or marketing campaign, is to promote a product, service, message or company. A sound strategy should always accompany this. The plan is merely the methodology for getting to point A to point B. Effective design should reinforce this effort.
Video Production with the advent of social media and specific sites dedicated to this medium like YouTube, the need for having a solid foundation in video production is still relevant in producing quality pieces. Also, I apply the same sense of artistry to this medium as I do within the Design realm.
Web Development from custom programming, designing and by leveraging today’s open source platforms (e.g., Joomla, WordPress, etc.) I have a firm command to deploy a variety of websites including user interface design and user experience.
RNR, Principal, Denver, CO
2006 – Present
Various solo and partnered strategic & brand communications projects for local and national clients.
• Proven success in digital engagement strategy and tactics;
• Proven graphic and multimedia design developing campaigns to promote brand positioning, value proposition, and various strategic initiatives;
• Proven creative conception and production methods focusing on the development of integrated creative platforms and execution programs; Video production (pre and post) experience;
• Project experience with website design, micro product sites, and ongoing management of websites/blogs/social media.
• Proven track record managing of external vendors to deliver quality work, on-time and on- budget
- Created over 100 brands in diverse industries
- Created and executed several public engagement campaigns
- Elevated brands, created value and increased sales for a wide variety of organizations
- Executed several fully integrated marketing and strategic communication initiatives that increased awareness and sales
- Successfully created and launched several start-up companies/organizations on time and under budget
Red Rocks Credit Union, Communications Specialist, Highlands Ranch, CO
July 2004 – November 2006
Created principal graphic design of all internal and external marketing collateral, advertising campaigns, and operational materials.
- Improved all internal & external communications and visual properties
- Introduced several marketing campaigns that increased deposits and customer base by 45%
- Elevated and managed all digital assets to elevate the brand
Crow Publications, Advertising Manager/Senior Designer, Denver, CO
February 1998 – May 2003
Assisted in maintaining the overall production design, marketing and sales effort of several quarterly publications as well as a weekly news journal.
- Improved art direction and production of all publications all on time and under budget
- Increased classified and advertising sales by 100%
- Created and introduced several marketing campaigns that increased circulation by 20% as well as trade show interest
- Elevated and managed all digital assets to elevate the brand
TeleTech Inc., Marketing/HR Design Assistant, Denver, CO
November 1996 – January 1998
Implemented strategic recruiting, marketing and product or service advertising campaigns for Fortune 500 clients.
- Assisted the art direction and production of all marketing and advertising collateral in enhancing global recruiting and brand positioning, reduced cost-per-hire by $7,005
- Expanded and managed all photo shoots and digital assets that improved recruiting and exceeded marketing goals
• Channel 9KUSA , Intern, Denver, CO, summer 1992
• Channel 7KMGH, Intern, Denver, CO, summer 1993 – 1996
Reported, edited and researched stories for various projects.
- Contributed with research, development, and follow-up on stories for network reporters
- Contributed with various ‘meet-on-street’ reporting features
University of Denver (DU)
BA, Mass Communication, 1996
[ Technical Skills ]
Mac & PC platforms, Adobe Creative Suite (CC): InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, QuarkXpress, web development: (light PHP coding), Adobe MUSE, WordPress, HTML(5), CSS, UI/UX, responsive, SEO, SEM, Dreamweaver, mobile, video production: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier, script writing, story boarding, editing, pre/post production, photography (DSLR), photo shoots, design: Identity (logo) development, conceptualization, layout and design, digital and interactive design, production design, brand guides, typography, copywriting, proposal writing, branding: brand strategy, brand management, advertising, messaging, positioning, communication planning, social media, project management, media relations, planning and training, political acumen, excellent interpersonal communication, analytic thinker, strong researcher, managerial (creative and client), excellent organizational and time management skills.